Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Introducing Latishia Sanchez, 2012 Youth Track Attendee

My name is Latishia Sanchez. I am 19 years young and am Native American and Hawaiian. I come from the Pueblos of Laguna, Santo Domingo, and San Felipe, New Mexico.

I love meeting new people, eating, texting, helping others, and expressing myself. I am not a quiet person. I dislike awkward silences and try to break the ice as soon as possible. I am proud to say that I help out in the teen health center at Laguna Acoma High School (LAHS) and I love it! I feel that school-based health centers (SBHCs) are important to Laguna and other reservations.

Having lived on a reservation for 19 years, I speak from experience when I say the challenges youth face growing up there are different than adults. I have not had the easiest childhood and have received help from SBHCs. I believe SBHCs – such as the LAHS Teen Center and the Elev8 program at the Laguna Middle school – are crucial to the health of youth. I cannot stress the need of SBHCs enough to get the point across!

I am excited about the convention and can’t wait to meet all of you!

In Love, Health, and Beauty,

Latishia Sanchez

No comments:

Post a Comment